Resources Available at SLCHA
- Books - Includes state, county, and village histories, as well as a section
on the Adirondacks.
- Manuscript Materials - This collection includes diaries, account books,
correspondence, school records, legal documents, and ephemera.
- Vertical Files - Contains the St Lawrence County town files, which
include clippings, articles, letters, research notes, programs, pamphlets,
advertisements, certificates, and other materials pertaining to each of
the towns in St Lawrence County. The files are also arranged by various
- Photographs - Photographs of people are arranged alphabetically by surname.
Photos of places and buildings are separately arranged by township.
- Maps - collection includes maps of cemeteries, towns and villages within
St Lawrence County, county maps (early 1800s to present), and New York
State maps. A finding aid is available in the Research Room.
- Genealogical Information - Includes cemetery records (up to the late
1950's), U.S. census records (on microfilm), a card file, a family file,
and miscellaneous church records.
Collections of Note
- Macomb Purchase Papers - Original legal documents between Alexander Macomb
and the State of New York for the purchase of the land which became St Lawrence County. Most of the documents date from the late 18th century.
- Silas Wright Collection - Wright (1795 - 1847) was a figure of national
prominence who served as U.S. Senator, NY Governor, and in a variety of
other state and local posts. The Archives holdings include personal and
professional letters from Wright, as well as his books from when he served
in the NY State Senate.
- J H Rushton Collection - Rushton was a renowned canoe and boat builder
whose business was located in Canton during the late 19th and early 20th
century. The collection includes material collected by Rushton biographer
Atwood Manley. The Rushton materials collected by Atwood Manley, are located
in a display case in the History Center.
- Walter B Leonard Collection - Leonard was a vaudevillian, composer,
and writer from Canton. The Archives contain original manuscripts, music,
playbills, ephemera, photos, correspondence, and posters from the early
Contact the Archives