History of the SLCHA
Founded in 1947, and permanently chartered in 1955, the St Lawrence County Historical Association continues to research, collect, preserve, and interpret the history of St Lawrence County. In 1965, the old Baptist church in Richville donated space for collection storage as the Historical Association's artifact and document collection continued to grow. In 1973, with the opportunity to purchase the house originally belonging to Silas Wright, an important 19th century United States Senator and Governor of New York, a major capital campaign ensued to acquire the property. In 1978, the St Lawrence County Historical Association opened the Silas Wright Museum and Archives. Governor Wright's house, a country Greek Revival structure, is typical of much of St Lawrence County's earliest residential architecture. The Wright House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a part of the Canton Village Park Historic District.
Awarded accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums in 1982, the Silas Wright House Museum's professional status was affirmed. In 1985, the Association began a capital and endowment campaign. Completed in 1990, the campaign, with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities, paid for a new addition to the Wright House, paid off the mortgage, and established an endowment which contributes to the annual budget. A capital campaign launched in 1999 culminated with the completion of the Red Barn Addition to the Silas Wright House in 2001.
The skeleton outline of major accomplishments listed above reflects the hard work and contributions of people The Associtation is people. Members, through dues and tax-deductible contributions, are the single largest source of annual income for the not-for-profit Association. As a member, you are entitled to four issues of the local history journal, The Quarterly; the bi-monthly newsletter; reduced rates on tours and activities; discounts on publications and gifts; invitations to special events; and the opportunity to support he preservation of St Lawrence County's heritage. Be part of the Historical Association's future.